[thelist] Netscape 4/5/6 - who's on first or who's down for the count? [was what happened to browserwatch.com?]

Sharon F. Malone sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
Tue Jun 4 02:32:04 CDT 2002

Interesting. Now am really confused. I asked the same question re Netscape 5 to TheCounter.com a few days ago. Here is their reply:

>Before Netscape decided to skip a version number (in order to release >a 6.0 version at the same time as Internet Explorer 6.0) they released >beta versions that were identified as "5.0" in at the coding level, but still
>marketed under a 4.xx moniker.

>from TheCounter on 5/30/02

So, Netscape 5 is (are) beta versions of Netscape 6? I head last year that Netscape 6.0 was the alpha version, Netscape 6.1 was the beta version, and Netscape 6.2 was THE release. And TheCounter doesn't actually say whether to include your count of 5 as 4 or 6. Could you enlighten me as to the validity of my "facts"? Sorta like, who's on first?

Sharon

On Monday, June 03, 2002 10:22 PM Jonathon Isaac Swiderski replied:
to this question:
> > Just one question I hope someone can answer : There are visits listed for
> > Netscape v.5. I was under the impression  that there never was a Navigator
> > version 5. Does this mean these visitors should be counted as Netscape 6+?
>
> Yes.  Although the marketeers dubbed the version following the 4 series Netscape
> 6, it is the fifth Navigator, and the version string acknowledges this fact.
[snipped]
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com