[thelist] Re: Netscape 4/5/6 - who's on first or who's down for the count? [was what happened to browserwatch.com?]

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Tue Jun 4 03:45:01 CDT 2002

Bill Mason writes:

> At 12:29 AM 06/04/2002, Sharon F. Malone wrote:
>> So, Netscape 5 is (are) beta versions of Netscape 6?
>
> Netscape 5, if I recall correctly, was another iteration of 4.x coding.
> It
> was not based on the current Mozilla code so really isn't a 6.x beta.

"Netscape 5" doesn't actually exist.  However, Mozilla appears as
"Mozilla/5.0" - here's a sample (from my logs):

 Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.0rc2) Gecko/20020512

Many interpreters would simply assume that this is Netscape.  Netscape 6
adds a "Netscape 6.2" (or similar) to the end of the string, so whenever
that appears, the interpreter can simply say "okay, that's NS6".  But most
aren't intelligent enough to say that the quoted string comes from Mozilla 1
RC2, so they simply say "hmmm, must be some Netscape 5".

Maybe that helps.  Maybe it's irrelevant.  Anyways.

--
Mark Gallagher
http://cyberfuddle.com/infinitebabble/