[thelist] DEBATE: Fixed Width Vs Liquid

Rob Sylvan rsylvan at attbi.com
Tue Jun 4 12:08:01 CDT 2002

A good question. After a quick search on Google (using: text readability
long lines) the consensus on the first 10 links was to keep lines of text to
an average of 9 - 12 words per line or around 60 characters per line.

What I found even more interesting was that quite a few of these pages used
a liquid layout design that caused their text lines to run 25 words per (or
so) line on my 1280x1024 monitor.

Do as I say, or do as I do?

It has certainly been *my* experience that shorter lines are easier to read
because I will sometimes have trouble finding the next line of text after
the long journey back from the right side of my monitor. But perhaps that's
just me.

Best of luck,

Rob