[thelist] DEBATE: Fixed Width Vs Liquid

Jason Cartwright mail at jasoncartwright.com
Tue Jun 4 12:34:01 CDT 2002

I'm not very good at reading long lines and hate trying to move from one
line to another on a variable width design.

I almost always design at fixed width (740px), but quite a few of my
sites have skyscraper banners (120x600) down the side. This can reduce
the content width to 550-600 once its all spaced out (about 65-75 chars
in a smallish font). This, IMO, is the perfect width for maximum
readability.

I would disagree with -

>I personally prefer to maximise my browser to get more info as opposed
to scrolling down

Maybe you don't have a wheel mouse? Don't most people?

That about my £0.02 done :)
Jason