[thelist] Knowledge: CSS: Display: Run-in

Scott Schrantz scotts at rci-nv.com
Tue Jun 4 12:54:01 CDT 2002

supported by Opera. Basically, it's a conditional setting. If the :run-in
box is followed by a :block box, then the :run-in box is made :inline and
placed inside the :block box. Otherwise, the run-in box stands on its own as
a :block.
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#run-in
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/css2tests/display.html#runin

The W3 gives this example:
<h3 style="display: run-in">A run-in heading.</h3>

Displays as:
A run-in heading. And a
paragraph of text that
follows it.

I can't think of why you would actually want to use this instead of just
specifying block or inline in your style sheet. It doesn't matter anyway,
since both IE and Mozilla ignore and seem to treat it as block.