[thelist] How do they do that?

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 4 23:29:01 CDT 2002

> seem to now use flat files instead of the usual
> ?page=734327434&la=qy234y24 crap that screws up search engines.

What makes you think they really are flat files?  More than likely,
it's a virtual directory/file scheme, where a central script gets path
info, and spits back a page.  Also, mod_rewrite is very common for this
sort of thing.  They probably are not really flat files though.

We're working on building an article about this:
http://dev.nyphp.org/wiki/index.php/Making%20URLs%20Search%20Engine%20Friendly

Not a very friendly URL itself, but things are in the works.  Anyone
[non NYPHP members] is welcome to help us develop as well.

Hans Z.
New York PHP
http://nyphp.org