[thelist] file names

Means, Eric D eric.d.means at boeing.com
Wed Jun 5 10:59:01 CDT 2002

The only illegal filename character on MacOS (pre-OSX), AFAIK, is the colon.
In OSX (by extension from Unix-like OSes) I believe that a filename may
include any character as long as they are properly escaped.

Under Windows, filenames cannot include the following characters: ? [ ] / \
Also, NT Server doesn't like filenames that end with either a dot or a
space.

Finally, Windows doesn't like files that are named the same as the various
PC ports, including com1 thru com9, lpt1 thru lpt9, con, nul, and prn (not
exhaustive).

# is not an illegal file name character in any widely-used OS to the best of
my knowledge.