[thelist] PHP? ASPNet?

John Handelaar genghis at members.evolt.org
Wed Jun 5 18:33:05 CDT 2002

It is a completely different thing, but as a web scripting language
it permits (like ASP) you to intermingle code and HTML [unlike ASP
- generally - it also permits you *not* to do that], and it has a
syntax which bears lots of similarities to Perl.

You can (like Perl) also run PHP without spending any money on
either the language or the server software, if that's important
to you.

Start at http://www.php.net and http://www.phpbuilder.com, get a
book and start mucking about, if you're interested in finding out :-)
I'll leave others (Jay?) to suggest which books you could start out
with.

> Also what does ASPNet buy me?  My main ISP doesn't support ASPNet
> and is hesitant to go with it for fear of messing up all their
> current ASP sites.

Generally speaking I'd never make that dramatic an upgrade if
I already had ASP sites which have been paid for... it's just
*asking* for trouble, innit?

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8933 1494       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com