[thelist] SQL Server Help

Feingold Josh S Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov
Thu Jun 6 09:07:00 CDT 2002

I am creating a database that has a bunch of tables that are related to each
other.  I have been thrown two errors which I would appreciated help with.

1) When I try to create a relationship between two tables like so:

Table1
	Column_1_1  Primary Key
	Column_1_2
	Column_1_3  Foreign Key  = Column_2_1

Table2
	Column_2_1  Primary Key
	Column_2_2  Primary Key

I get the following error:

"The columns in table 'Table1' do not match an existing primary key or
UNIQUE constraint."

2) When I am try to create a relationship between a number of tables, and
SAVE the relationship I get the following error:

"The total row size (8374) for table 'Table1' exceeds the maximum number of
bytes per row (8060). Rows that exceed the maximum number of bytes will not
be added."

I looked around and found that this second error is a limit that one row can
have column values that exceed 8060 bytes.  Table1 doesn't have anywhere
near the upper limit, so I am left to guess that the relationship makes it
that the two tables are viewed as one.  Is this correct, and if so, how else
can I achieve normalization?

Thanks for your help.

Josh