[thelist] PHP? ASPNet?

Amazon Paulo Amazon.Paulo at Amazoniacelular.com.br
Thu Jun 6 09:26:05 CDT 2002

>Another thing to keep in mind when comparing the 2 (ASP.NET and PHP), is to
>keep in mind that the 2 main langauges that Microsoft wants you to use with
>ASP.NET (Visual Basic.NET and C#) are both strongly typed languages. You
>must declare each variable as well as it's primitive data type or object
>reference. This is a good thing in my opinion, but with Jay on this one, I
>prefer to program in PHP! It's much less verbose and faster to develop
with.

IMO, the worst problem about ASP (I don't know PHP) is the fact that it
allows the programmer not to declare variables and objects. The fact that
you don't need (and, in fact, cannot) specify the type of a variable is
awful. Error handling is also terrible in VBScript.

I've seen a crowd of bad programmers which never declare a variable, never
know how to handle an error really lost when some problem occurs on their
scripts.

If I would start to program today, I would choose .NET, where these problems
do not exist.

/Paulo Guedes