[thelist] Up and down video resolution standards

Flavia Tarzwell (FayeC) ftarzwell at fayec.com
Thu Jun 6 14:36:39 CDT 2002

Default resolution for web design has been discussed many times before.
Some are fond of knowing your target audience and then designing static
sites having them in mind, others are adept of liquid design which would
fit all resolutions.
One thing has been left out though....in the past 3-4 years we have seen
the use of  640X480 resolution going down and we started designing pages
for 800X600 resolutions and some are going up to 1024X768. While a
liquid design would still fit from the 640X480 and up we still need to
keep in mind that graphics need to look as good on a low resolution than
on high....
With the increase in use of wireless devices (pocket PCs, etc.) and (who
knows if it takes off) WebTv that brings the default minimum area for
web design down to a tiny space....creating tiny graphics is easy but
making them in a way they would still be clear on higher resolutions is
a graphic designer's nightmare....
It is the designer's responsability to create pages that will be
cross-browser/cross-platform but what about the resolutions? Should we
also create pages compatible with those mediums? If not then how should
we deal with clients requesting their sites to be viewable on them?
Should we create separate versions for those?
This is just something that crossed my mind while watching a WebTv
commercial last night.....

Cheers,

Flavia Tarzwell (FayeC)