[thelist] Platform/browser test please

Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov
Thu Jun 6 17:42:08 CDT 2002

Dan,

browser: Mozilla 1.0
OS: Win 2K Professional

Four quick thoughts/suggestions:

(1) <label> tags. Your quizzes could use them.

<tip type="HTML" author="Jeduthun">
<label> tags are all-around cool: they help non-visual user agents associate
text with form objects, they give visual user agents much bigger targets to
shoot for (instead of a tiny radio button), and they make your Web apps
"act" more like normal apps.

If you don't know how to use them -- it's easy. Give your radio buttons (for
example) an id="myid" attribute, then use <label for="myid"> my radio button
text </label>. Now you can click on the text instead of the button, and see
the text outlined when you have focus on element (on some user agents; try
tabbing to the control).
</tip>

(2) Show me where I am in the slideshow, please, with a cue better than
"Slide X of 15." I want some indication of where I am in the list of slides
itself.

(3) I think it's ironic that some of your ALT tags -- which are most likely
to be rendered on non-visual browsers, where "clicking" isn't possible --
use the phrase "click here." (-:

(4) As others have mentioned -- give the pages titles!

I like your layout -- it's simple, it works, and you use XHTML-transitional
(even if you do resort to layout tables (-;)! Bravo.

--
Jonathan.