[thelist] CSS question (Martin? Rudy?)

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Thu Jun 6 19:46:01 CDT 2002

Okay, I am building a very simple, probably prototype Web site for a
guy. Right now, I just threw up a quick 3-4 pages in a subdirectory of
my own site, to show him what's possible QUICKLY. (He told me Saturday
he'd been paying someone for months, and had a site with NO CONTENT! So
Sunday I gave him the address of a "site" he could look over Monday.)
The "site" is at camilio.accesswriters.com and everything in it will
change after I interview him Monday (he's not even a contractor, really
into real estate!).

Anyway, my question is this: It's my very first totally CSS-controlled
site, and I want to be able to use the fixed position box. I know my
next CSS spec pages to plow through are inheritance & cascading, but
for what element (or classes?) can I assign large margin values, but
set to 0 left-margin for the part of the page where I want the nav
list? I was hoping to set large margins for body, but reset them for
H1, and that didn't work. When I finally had access to a CSS-capable
browser (my development machine has an ancient browser), it turned out
I had to add in CSS rules for all the elements individually (UL, P,
etc.).

Also, the fixed position doesn't do what I expected (it scrolls with
the page). Any comments from the experts before I hit the "books" again?

Thanks...
techwatcher at accesswriters.com