[thelist] Netscape... why?

Beau Hartshorne beau at members.evolt.org
Thu Jun 6 21:49:01 CDT 2002

Dan wrote:

> Why the fuck do 16606594 misguided individuals still use Netscape
4.x??

> it would make our lives SOOOooo much easier if they just gave in and
got a
> decent browser

Well, according to:

http://www.nua.ie/surveys/how_many_online/

it's estimated that there 544.2 million internet users in the world. The
counter.com numbers only add up to about 399 million.

People keep asking me how many NN 4 users are still out there. So I took
the numbers from thecounter.com, and put them in an Excel sheet so I
could get more accurate percentages. Then, I took these accurate
percentages and multiplied them by the 544,200,000.

It turns out that there's more like 24,300,871 NN 4 users out there,
give our take a few million.

Here's the rest of them:

MSIE 5.x                303,021,284
MSIE 6.x                177,921,047
Netscape 4.x            24,300,871
MSIE 4.x                19,436,999
Netscape compatible     5,835,040
Netscape 6.x            4,846,577
Opera x.x               4,079,015
Unknown                 2,629,192
Netscape 5.x            998,654
Netscape 3.x            389,226
MSIE 3.x                372,727
MSIE 2.x                343,588
Netscape 2.x            24,116
MSIE 1.x                846
Netscape 1.x            817

Like others have already said, check *your* audience. Maybe only 5 or 6
of those 24 million NN 4 users are actually visiting your site.

Now, if you want to have some *real* fun, go download Netscape 1.x from
http://browsers.evolt.org/.

Beau