[thelist] Netscape... why?

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Fri Jun 7 00:18:00 CDT 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Erik Mattheis wrote:

> ~ document.write different <link> tags based on navigator.userAgent,
> no browsers barf, some just don't show stylesheets
>
> ~ document.write different <link> tags based on navigator.userAgent,
> use standard css for a <link> higher on the page, and just let NN 4.x
> with JS disabled barf on it

Been there, done that.  Doesn't work.

Opera, you see, barfs on that... while Opera does have its quirks, it
offers the best CSS support out there (and is a bunch of other neat,
userfriendly things, though decent JavaScript support is not one of them).
I've made up my mind that PITA or not, refusing CSS rules to Opera is a
Bad Thing.  (JS code is another story entirely.)

You can do this instead:  write your CSS stylesheet, overwrite the values
for Netscape 4 by LINKing a second JSSS stylesheet, and call it a day
(though certain techniques may well cause NN4 to become crash-prone).  Or
if you're comfortable with the overhead, just @import the "Everybody Else"
stylesheet from the LINK tag.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."