[thelist] Netscape... why?

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Jun 7 19:17:00 CDT 2002

At 4:49 PM -0700 6/7/02, Michael Mell wrote:
>Erik Mattheis wrote:
>
>>  And really, there are things that you _have_ to serve different stuff
>>  ... either with JS or a cookie as you suggest in your fine article.
>
>I really disagree -- I do site development all day long for Netscape 4, IE
>4,5&6, Opera 5 on Mac, PC for designers who have no concept of working
>within the constraints of html. I never, ever (except maybe once in a moment
>of weakness) serve anything different for any platform. Sure, the layout
>looks a little different on each but so what? Everyone gets a good page. You
>just have to work at it.

If you had to, how would you use one stylesheet to

- use scroll:
- style form elements
- set body margins to a true 0px

Sure, there's a ton of CSS that will render pretty much the same in
the majority of browsers ... but some cool stuff that will not.

>Disclaimer:
>I do layout using tables and don't plan on changing any time soon.

As do I for the most part.

Back to the subject: of the thread ... I have two clients that insist
on continuing to use NN 4.x ... both use custom CMSs which are
stunningly beautiful in IE, Opera and NN 6+ ... I cannot get them to
switch. They like NN 4.x. Why? WHY? WWHHYYY?

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/

Through June 15