[thelist] resolution stats

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 7 20:28:01 CDT 2002

> From: "John Corry" <webshot at members.evolt.org>
> >
> > i ask that, of course, because my own research showed that at
> > 800x600, users had a mean available viewport of 719x397, and
> > at 1,024x768, they had a mean viewport of 881x539...
>
> OK...wow, you do a *really* good job.

?? ...all i did was compile, there's no good job there other than i
was *really* curious...

> For me, just knowing that they have ~800x600 of available screen real
> estate is enough.
>
> I'm actually totally neurotic and obsessive about *some* things (like
> my 'Morning Edition' coffee mug that I got at a NPR fundraiser
> attended by Bob Edwards himself...small, intimate atmosphere...what an
> experience)...my viewers window size when they visit my site is not
> one of them.
>
> We have absolutely no control over that.

aw hell, i didn't mean to imply that you had any control, just that
it's nice to know the bounds you have -- user averages and the
like...  i know the mean, median, mode, and extremes of my audience,
and like any bell curve, i try to handle for as much of it as
possible with the knowledge that some are gonna slip...

[...]
> I think there's no 'right' answer here...and that in time our
> philosophy on this matter will change (regardless our current
> position).

probably, assuming the technologies involved change, too... or at
least the way people use them...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself