[thelist] Netscape... why?

Chris Kaminski chris at setmajer.com
Sat Jun 8 03:27:01 CDT 2002

Thus spake Erik Mattheis:

> It can't be done with @import unlwss you disregard IE 5 Mac and IE 4
> Win,  or disredard IE 5 and 5.5 Win ... if there's something that
> will simulate the effect with one stylesheet in all browsers that can
> do it, I don't know what it is.

Pardon me for jumping in here, but the above isn't accurate or is at least
incomplete. Observe:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="everyone.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/jsss" media="screen" href="nn4only.js" />

    @import: url(ie4AndUpGeckoOpera.css);
    @import: "ie5AndUpGeckoOpera.css";

There are other ways of hiding either individual rules or whole stylesheets
from various browsers.

See:

<http://www.tantek.com/CSS/Examples/highpass.html>
<http://pixels.pixelpark.com/~koch/hide_css_from_browsers/>

chris.kaminski == ( design | code | analysis )

    Well-being and happiness never appeared to
    me as an absolute aim. I am even inclined
    to compare such moral aims to the ambitions
    of a pig.