[thelist] Site check/advice

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
Sat Jun 8 15:04:01 CDT 2002

NT4, IE5, 31K modem.  Front page screencap @
http://members.evolt.org/jswiders/lobowalk.com.jpg [109KB]

Although the colors aren't quite what I would've chosen, it looks good, although
the darker brown and the red don't always go well together, esp. in the
rollovers at the top and in the sidebars -- see
http://members.evolt.org/jswiders/lobowalk.com2.jpg [123KB] and
http://members.evolt.org/jswiders/lobowalk.com3.jpg [125KB].

Although prevailing wisdom has become to hide and obfuscate email addresses and
hide behind forms for contact, it is a trend I have come to hate the last couple
weeks.  One phase of my current job involved looking up contact information for
webmasters of over 500 sites that were linked to a website that had moved
(biodiversity.uno.edu, now at biocollections.org).  While many had the name of
the person responsible for the page and their email address at the bottom, the
vast majority of the pages (or at least, the vast majority of the time i
spent. . .) forced me to go pawing through staff directories and sourcecode for
contact forms, searching for the email address of what probably turned out to be
the wrong person.  So don't do that.  Include your name (or screenname, or
whatever you like to be addressed as in a business mail) and email on every
page, or at least include a link to a contact page with said information.  The
only place I was able to find your address was in the code for your contact
form.

jswiders
members.evolt.org/jswiders
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski      jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu

   "What we have to learn to do we learn by doing"
    -- Aristotle, Ethica Nicomachea II (c 325 BC)