[thelist] dangerous CSS, was: Netscape... why?

Chris Kaminski chris at setmajer.com
Mon Jun 10 00:42:00 CDT 2002

Thus spake Erik Mattheis:

> OK http://www.gozz.com/temporary/dangerous/styled.cfm - explanation
> on the page which also allows you to have the page give you CSS
> intended for another browser.

Position: fixed is buggy or unsupported in just about every browser.
Personally, I just avoid it. If you /really/ need to use it, some JS is
probably necessary.

It's one of only a few cases like that, though.

As for your example page, I'm visiting in Mozilla and get a plain-jane
version of the page, not the NN6 version. That points out the danger in JS
browser sniffing: if you don't do it right, you'll wind up excluding
browsers that you shouldn't.

For a fix, try looking for 'Gecko' instead of 'Netscape' in your sniffer.

chris.kaminski == ( design | code | analysis )