[thelist] Flash, usability, accessibility

Rebecca Milot-Bradford RMilot-Bradford at nsca-lift.org
Mon Jun 10 11:08:01 CDT 2002

Erik,

You wrote:

>  I spent the better part of two days researching whether there were
>  laws on the books or tort in the US that would require a privately
>  funded website to be accessible to those with disabilities. My
>  conclusion was a resounding "NO" (for the US _and_ elsewhere)

I agree that this is an area that has not been extensively tested in the
courts. However, I also think you are drawing an erroneous conclusion.

Do you recognize that the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 requires
that all public facilities be accessible, as well as goods and services
provided by both the government and private companies?

And according to the US Justice Department, in an opinion letter dated
September 9, 1996, "Covered entities under the ADA are required to provide
effective
communication, regardless of whether they generally communicate through
print
media, audio media, or computerized media such as the Internet. Covered
entities
that use the Internet for communications regarding their programs, goods, or

services must be prepared to offer those communications through accessible
means
as well."

What leads you to believe that this does NOT apply to web sites?

Respectfully,

Rebecca Milot-Bradford