[thelist] Flash, usability, accessibility

Chris Kaminski chris at setmajer.com
Mon Jun 10 13:36:01 CDT 2002

Thus spake Tara Cleveland:

> But what does it mean to us as designers/developers/etc. here? We should be
> aware of these issues, we should present them to our clients as issues and
> we should advise our clients to seek counsel on them if they decide that
> they want to go with an inaccessible site. I don't see what the problem is.

The problem is that it /was/ stated that the ADA applies to privately-owned
commercial Web sites. That isn't certain, and /how/ it applies is even less
certain.

If you go into the office of, say, a marketing director at Proctor & Gamble
and try to put the fear of a lawsuit into them by saying the ADA applies to
their alt-less Flash marketing site (is there even a good or service being
offered there?), they're going to make a call down to legal. Legal's going
to tell them you're all wet, and then they'll tell you to get lost.

Net-net, not only have you lost credibility, but so has anyone else who
starts preaching accessibility there.

If, OTOH, you stick to the facts, you might have a shot at convincing them.

chris.kaminski == ( design | code | analysis )

    I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is
    that of a cat hung up by its tail outside
    a window and trying to stick to the panes
    of glass with its claws.