[thelist] iBooks, OS X, Macs, Web Development, Laptops, Etc, Etc

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Tue Jun 11 16:04:01 CDT 2002

Jonathan_A_McPherson wrote:

<quote (heavily snipped)>
I'm planning on purchasing a laptop for school...[snip]...
Do any of you prefer Macs over PC's for Web development?
</quote>

I use windows, Linux and a little bit of Mac.

Macs look great, OS X is fairly good as operating systems go. Linux runs
best, or at least has the most support on "PC" stuff. As machines I'm fairly
unimpressed by apple laptops, a Mac based colleague has had lots of
problems; getting the darn thing in the first place - he wanted a non
standard spec, minor faults including a cracked case, major fault - a faulty
hinge or something stopping the monitor from working, which I understand
requires the machine to be sent to Germany to be fixed (we're in the UK).
So, that'd put me off to start with. That said, you can pretty much develop
anything web based on a Mac that you could with a PC.

BUT...Something like 92% of people use a windows PC, so you had better make
sure that your site looks great for them first, and that isn't easy to start
with, let alone if you're using a different set of tools to your audience.
So reluctantly (as I'd rather everyone used Linux), I'd get the Dell and run
windows.

best,
Liam