[thelist] Am I being too fussy?

john-paul jwalton at four09.org
Wed Jun 12 08:32:10 CDT 2002

what, you have exclusive rights to right-hand column of text with left-hand
image? jeez... ;) c'mon, now... the design in question is pretty generic,
after all. (Don't get me wrong, i like it, nice and clean...)

at any rate these design-ripoffs are funny, but at most its unethical. There
is no legal reason why somebody can't completely rip you off.

Hard to believe, but last I heard, you can't actually copyright "design".

I once attended a lecture on intellectual property law... the example given
was that if you submit something to be copyright registered, and classify it
as "design", it will get rejected. But you could submit the same thing
classified as "art", and it would be accepted. Granted, this was in
reference to print work (and I don't know how this applies to code)...

I'm talking about ~registered~ copyright, here... there is nothing stopping
you from slapping the symbol on just about anything.

:: john-paul
:: music :: http://www.mmodule.com
:: collective :: http://www.four09.org