[thelist] Dynamic homepage and search engines.

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 12 09:17:00 CDT 2002

> From: Michael Galvin <mgalvin at sourcevisualthinking.ie>
>
> I assume it's fairly well accepted by now that to get a good page rank
> on the spider search engines, your homepage content should contain
> spider-readable text with your keywords, etc.  So if I wanted (at
> least part of) my homepage to be dynamically generated from a
> database, what would my best approach be?  I was thinking about an
> iFrame or iLayer, but I'm a little reticent to use these.  If the
> suffix of my homepage is .php or .asp but contains standard text
> outside of the <% %> would that be enough to satisfy the s.e.?

anything in the  <% %> is parsed by the server, so it never ends
up in the HTML of the page, unless you've told it to (via
response.write, for example)...

given that, i don't worry as much about the home page, since a
keyword search that results in a link to my site will always point to
the relevant page, not the home page...

how many times that you search for something in google do you
end up at a site's home page?

anyway, yeah, you shouldn't have to worry, no iframe/layer is
necessary as long as the page itself has real text in it...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself