[thelist] Am I being too fussy?

john-paul jwalton at four09.org
Wed Jun 12 09:21:01 CDT 2002

Richard H. Morris wrote:
> Try using the famous "golden arches" for an 'M' on one of your web sites
> and then see if you're right...

That is a ~completely~ different issue. The "golden arches" are a TRADEMARK.
A logo. Their brand. Trademark, and Copyright are different.

The difference is this: you can trademark and/or copyright a logo, but not a
layout or design.

> Besides, the original coding and images can of course by copyrighted and
> protected by legislation in the UK, the US and elsewhere either by
> statute or by convention.

Absolutely. As I said, I didn't know how copyright applies to code, and the
images themselves can be copyrighted. but neither of those things can stop
someone from completely stealing your layout/aesthetic...

:: john-paul
:: music :: http://www.mmodule.com
:: collective :: http://www.four09.org