Height attribute on TABLE (was Re: [thelist] Accesibility Tip)

Bill Mason evolt at accessibleinter.net
Wed Jun 12 11:03:00 CDT 2002

At 08:50 AM 06/12/2002, Sebastian Kostal wrote:
>So should I have used the <td> tags to control height to conform? This seems
>to be valid, but also depreciated. Why is this? Is tere a better way to
>control table height?

CSS can control height, though on tables NN4 and I believe IE4 (to name
two) wouldn't support it correctly (or at all).

>Will pages conforming to the w3 validator's standards always render
>correctly?

If the user-agent being used to view the page supports the standard
correctly, sure.

>I have used the "background" attribute in some instances which is not
>validated. It depreciates very well, but it does not conform to the w3c
>specs. I don't think I should slavishly stick to the w3c recommondation in
>this case. Any other opinions?

Background can also be handled via CSS, though your mileage in your browser
of choice may again vary.

Bill Mason
Accessible Internet
evolt at accessibleinter.net