[thelist] Dynamic homepage and search engines.

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Wed Jun 12 12:26:01 CDT 2002

At 09:54 12/06/02 -0700, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> > anyway, yeah, you shouldn't have to worry, no iframe/layer is
> > necessary as long as the page itself has real text in it...
>
>but it should be noted that a lot/most/all of the spiders don't follow
>url's past the ? in the querystring.

Google does - I've kind of lost touch with the search engine world, what
other engines matter these days? I just had a play with Altavista and lycos
and neither of them seemed to return any results with a query string.

In my opinion this just goes to show how behind they are. Now that server
side scripting has become available to even relative web newbies a vast
amount of information on the web is "hidden" behind a query string. By not
indexing this material Altavista and Lycos are really showing their age.