[thelist] PAGE OPTIMIZATION: source readability v. download weight

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Wed Jun 12 13:23:01 CDT 2002

hi!

i was toying with making my pages as small as possible and found that on
some of the longer pages i can take off about 10k of space characters
from the formatting of the code.

for example...

becomes...

-----

now i think the second one is VERY ugly and i do not want to do it that
way. recently i came across a bookmarklet that measures the 'weight' of
the page you are viewing. i haven't examined the link itself, so i don't
know what it is counting for the weight, but i can say that if i remove
one character it goes down by 1 byte. so it's close enough.

anyways... i've almost become obsessed with seing this number drop as
low as i can get it.
<nervous-crazy-laugh>hahahaha!!</nervous-crazy-laugh>

usually i use two spaces to indent mine tags, but now i'm thinking maybe
i'll use just one. that will cutout at least half of course.

but my question to you people is "what's more important? the ability to
read the source easily through organization and spacing, or shaving off
almost 10k (depending on the length of the page of course) from the page
size?"

news of tools, utilities, suggestions, ideas, etc. are welcome.

thanks,
chris.