[thelist] PAGE OPTIMIZATION: source readability v. download w eight

tstephens at trusecure.com tstephens at trusecure.com
Wed Jun 12 13:30:08 CDT 2002

> way. recently i came across a bookmarklet that measures the
> 'weight' of
> the page you are viewing. i haven't examined the link itself,
> so i don't
> know what it is counting for the weight, but i can say that
> if i remove
> one character it goes down by 1 byte. so it's close enough.

Where is that bookmarklet?  I'd be interested it trying it out.

> but my question to you people is "what's more important? the
> ability to
> read the source easily through organization and spacing, or
> shaving off
> almost 10k (depending on the length of the page of course)
> from the page
> size?"

I do know that there are server-side utilities/scripts that will condense
the code down as much as possible on the fly, while keeping the original
like your layout.

I personally am somewhat of a clean-code addict myself.  I always believe
that nice, clean, readable code is priceless.  Pride in your work, etc...

Tony