[thelist] PAGE OPTIMIZATION: source readability v. download w eight

Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov
Wed Jun 12 13:48:08 CDT 2002

> usually i use two spaces to indent mine tags, but now i'm thinking maybe
> i'll use just one. that will cutout at least half of course.

Why not just use a tab? Tabs only cost you one byte of download time and
will indent as many spaces as you like.

Configure your programming tool to use your favorite indent level (I like
four spaces, two is fine, whatever) as a tab stop. Indent your code with
tabs. Any industrial-strength programming tool (I use vim) will have the
capability of converting all your leading spaces to tabs. Tabs save space.

You should be aware that tabs vs. spaces have created a massive holy war. I
am recommending the above as a way to reduce the byte size of your code, not
necessarily endorsing the practice of using tabs. (-;

Here's everyone's hero, jwz, on why tabs are bad:
http://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html

Of course, there's the other side:
http://www.derkarl.org/why_to_tabs.html

--