[thelist] Hand Coding (was Dreamweaver Codewriting)

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Wed Jun 12 16:51:01 CDT 2002

>> Once we get complete standards support in browsers, wysiwyg tools will
be
>> wonderful to use. Until then, you have to either give up on some design
>> features or hand code them.
>
>It seems that you think users of DW rely on it totally. Some do, but using
>DW for basic structure, then codeing by hand, is the method I've always
used.

No, you just misunderstood me. I was saying that either you give up some
design features (by relying on DW totally) or you hand code them (which
implies *not* relying on DW totally). I went on to point out that the mix
of the two will inform your decision whether to use DW. That's not thinking
DW users rely on it totally, just pointing out that if you're going to do
substantial parts by hand, it might just be easier to do the whole thing by
hand, but if only little pieces here and there need hand coding, it might
be worth it to use DW. That's *all* I said about that.

>Different tools, different uses, different users. Believe it or not,
there's
>a place for almost every tool. Almost. Buying and using DW type tool might
>not be best for you. I won't try to change your mind. Just don't put down
>those that do use them.

You won't find any place I disagreed with any portion of this paragraph. In
fact, I asked if someone could disprove me about the valid code part, which
is my bigest objection to "power tools". I haven't looked at those sites
yet, but I'll get there. And maybe I'll add DWMX to my list of tools to
check out.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224