[thelist] anyone have Movable Type (blog) experience?

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Thu Jun 13 01:37:01 CDT 2002

Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

<snip />

> But I thought I could include entries in a PORTION of a page, what I really wanted to do was use
> this tool so me and my wife can add snippets, like a journal to our web site. But it seems you can
> only output a whole page...is this correct?

Erm... /sort of/.

You *can* only output a whole page, yes.  But what if you set up *two*
blogs (it's possible with MT, y'know), one of which pointed to
pixelmech.com and the other points to pixelmech.com/snippets/?  The
snippets one is style-less and contains *only* the text outputted by the
  second blog.

Next, using the magic of SSI or PHP, *include* /snippets/ within
pixelmech.com/, so formatted as that it looks like a box with extra
stuff in it.

Cool, huh?

> If you look at www.pixelmech.com you will see the page (just started) that I wanted to put some
> stuff in.
>
> The blog right now writes out to pixelmech.com/blog/pixelblog.html
>
> Feel free to log in and see my settings with the Melody/Nelson login
>
> www.pixelmech.com/cgi-gin/mt.cgi

You've not deleted that account yet?  Hoo, boy.  Well, I suppose in your
case you don't want to get rid of it just yet (this way others can help
you better, perhaps), but since I owe tips anyway:

<tip type="Movable Type" author="Mark Gallagher">
As soon as you've got MT working, and have set up author accounts and so
on, delete the Melody/Nelson account.  If you don't, you never know what
technically proficient but morally lacking person might come in and
start screwing around.
</tip>

--
Mark Gallagher