[thelist] Web-based wysiwyg html editors ?

Androse Rosewood auguste at mac.com
Thu Jun 13 05:59:01 CDT 2002

Hi,

I'm working on a custom content management system in php.
The users will be editing the content of the site via a web interface
(simple text-fields).
The content is made of long articles, so the users want to be able to
apply some formatting to the long texts. Stuff like : <b>, <i>, or
some pre-defined css classes for color or font switching. No table
formatting or layout, just very simple inline formatting. They also
want to be able to create hyperlinks.

The difficult part is that they want a wysiwyg interface. The do
*not* want to insert tags (not even simplified ones) in the text.

Solution 1 : Flash ?
So I have found such a thing in Flash5 here :
http://www.active-web.cc/html/wysiwyg/
...but apparently there are still some bugs with links, plus the
licensing model isn't very attractive.

Solution 2 : ActiveX ?
Somebody said once that Microsoft as made an activeX control to do
just that, but I haven't been able to find any info about it. Then
again, a cross-plateform solution would be better.

Solution 3 : HTML+JS ?
I remember seeing once an implementation of an editor made in HTML
and JS. I think it only worked in IE6/Win. Maybe using some obscure
DOM techniques ?

So my question is :
- Have any of you already done this before ?
- Do you know of any solutions available ?
- If not, maybe do you know of good place to look for it ? (I've
spent 2 hours on google already).

Thanks for your help.

	- androse