[thelist] Web-based wysiwyg html editors ?

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Thu Jun 13 13:04:01 CDT 2002

Michael,

> > This example :
> > http://www.siteexperts.com/ie5/htmlarea/page1.asp

> Very strange, cause it's not working under IE6 on my W2k box.  Perhaps
> it's *only* for IE5?  This points up an issue even under
> supposedly homogenous 'MS' platforms - often wildly differing behaviour
> on seemingly similar platforms.  To illustrate, we've got the same

    The siteexperts.com example used technology (including the <htmlarea>
element) from an IE 5.0 beta version that never made it into the released
version. My understanding is that the MSHTML component has changed from its
earliest existence as a strictly downloadable add-on for IE 4, to an
included (but optional) feature of IE 5.0, to an integrated feature in IE
5.5+. I believe that the IE 5.5 and IE 6 versions (beefed up from the IE
5.0x version) are entirely compatible, perhaps even identical.

James Aylard