[thelist] CSS replacements for cellpadding/cellspacing (was PAGE OPTIMIZATION)

D. Bruce Saurer g1notami at zoominternet.net
Thu Jun 13 19:21:01 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Aylard" <evolt at pixelwright.com>

> Ken,
>
> > Right, but he's setting the background color of the page to white (which
> got
> > snipped out of the above reply), then adding a 2px white border to each
> > table cell. This has the same effect as cellspacing.
>
>     As long as you don't want _both_ cellspacing and a border
differentiated
> from the page background...

And if you do...

body {
color: #000 ;
background-color: #fff ;
}
td {
border: 2px solid #fff ;
padding: 3px ;
}
table.border td {
border: 2px solid #000 ;
}
table.border {
font: bold 1em TrebuchetMS,serif;
color: #030;
background-color: #fff ;
}

will get you there.  Maybe this is considered a hack but, if you need it
done and the browser doesn't support the standard, I'm all for what ever
works.

bruce
g1notami at zoominternet.net