[thelist] Reverse Lookups by MTA and FTP.....

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Thu Jun 13 20:03:00 CDT 2002

Howdy!

We've moved over to PacBell DSL at the office and at home. With these new
internet connections I'm seeing delays in connecting to services that do
reverse lookups on the IP.

I've added the DSL IPs (they are static) to the /etc/hosts table. I've also
verified via nslookup and dig that the reverse mappings are set correctly,
as seen from the servers. Strangely, traceroute bails, but
ping/nslookup/dig work correctly.

The Covad DSL lines never gave us these problems and since both locations
are on PacBell, I'm wondering if there is something screwy going on between
the servers and PacBell.

Any thoughts??
--
Anthony Baratta