[thelist] Validation > pressure on software companies??

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Fri Jun 14 00:47:01 CDT 2002

Kostal Design|Sebastian Kostal said:
> Watching this list for a while I realized everybody thinks that
> validation is important.
>
> I've seen valid code that breaks on NN 4.5 Mac. So the validator seems
> to me no measure to assure correct page display.

As it shouldn't be. If that was happening then it would be the html standard
following browser foibles instead of browsers trying to follow the standard.

> I personally clearly prefer a page that works and depreciates nicely
> over a page that sticks to some standard which causes display errors.
> Please help me to understand. I feel really funky, because everybody
> makes such a big deal about validation and then in some instances the
> page does not even display correctly! What's the point then??

A) It's more likely to degarde well if it follows the standards.
B) It's more likely to stand up in the future if you follow the standards.
C) It's a mark of pride to me that I can make my pages validate.
D) It's a measure of professionality, IMO. Anyone can make a web page, but
those who follow the standards, or at least follow them closely are much
more likely to understand other important issues such as degradiblity,
accessiblity, etc.
E) Using markup like it's supposed to be used aids accessiblity. A page
which has been validated is unlikely to require a lot of work to make it
accessible if it has to be. (And all pages should be decently accessible
anyway.)

Lach
http://members.evolt.org/luminosity/
MSN: luminosity @ members.evolt.org