[thelist] Database Management based on NT Permissions (SQL 2k db)

Rob Smith rob.smith at thermon.com
Fri Jun 14 17:09:01 CDT 2002

Hi (Anthony),

I think I've just about got this figured out. The only way I can extract the
user name and password from the authentication methods is through Basic
Authentication. I have however, implemented SSL as a work around to ensure
encrypted communications between the browser and web server. (Side note: not
sure if you're supposed to the see the little master lock in the browser or
know when this is active)

You refer to ADO as an object that's passed to the DB, but ADO from what I
understand are the calls to the DB that you use to interact with the DB.

I really don't need the passwords to authenticate, just the user name.
Although the user is already authenticated to the web server, the user name
in this situation is only for croxx referencing to the DB like you said for
the appropriate page content.

We managed to get the NT Challenge response working/with SSL and CA. Now its
just a matter of exporting the NT Permissions DB into an SQL Server DB. Put
the finishing touches on it and we're done...for now.

(((For those of you wondering what the purpose of this string is... To
determine, on an Intranet, who gets to see what from anywhere around the
world, who isn't necessarily a part of our network but of our company, and
to do it all based upon NT Permissions)))

The content presentation can be solved by the management of the navigation
system, which is also database driven. Everything else will fall into place.
The navigation system is the link between the ADO components, the NT
permissions table, and the ASP Web Application (Intranet).

neato bandito!

Rob.Smith

"Row level" permissions are going to be up to you and your DB Design. The
DB (with NT permissions) can be set on a table and column basis, but not a
row basis.

To get the user name/password, you'll need to interogate the HTTP headers
or use one of the COM objects to get this information. Once you have it,
you can pass that to ADO when you connect to the DB.
--
Anthony Baratta
President