[thelist] Need advice for acquiring a .biz domain

Mo Martin momartin at forpaws.org
Fri Jun 14 23:06:01 CDT 2002

When the .biz domains became available, I made an "IP claim." Several
others also placed IP claims, understandable since we are not the
only company with this name. We received the IP claim and a few
others did as well. We were third in line.

Someone else sought to acquire the name (seems to be a cybersquatter)
and the IP claim processes began. We were third in the priority queue
and finally we bubbled up to the top so we have a limited time to
make our claim. The bureaucracy of this system is pretty awful but
basically, I had to choose an arbitrator who represents us in the
claim. They charge $1100 to arbitrate it.

We do have IP rights to this name so I am guessing we would prevail
but do not know for sure and do not know if there will be additional
costs as the process moves on.

The domain registrar (squatter, I think) who applied for the name has
offered to sell it to us for the price we would pay the arbitration
company.

My question: Should I buy it from the squatters? Will that end it or
can someone else then move in and challenge my ownership? Should I
proceed through the arbitration process?

Will the arbitration process likely give us what we want, or is this
one of those situations where they will then need to do some
additional step and want more money? Anyone been this route?

We do want the name. I don't think it is worth it but company
managers do and my job is to get it, so I am trying to learn the
simplest way to secure it.