[thelist] DHTML help please

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 15 06:00:00 CDT 2002

>I posted this question a few days ago, but no replies,
>so I'll try re-stating it.
>
>I have a page where I want to dynamically generate a
>table using DOM methods. (
>document.createElement("table")
>document.createElement("tbody")
>etc.
>
>The individual cell contents are links written using
>cell.innerHTML with calls to a javascript function.
>
>My problem is the page layout. On a PC, everything is
>fine, but on a Mac extra space is being added both
>vertically and horizontally, making the table way too
>wide, and wrecking the layout. I've tried everything,
>including these statements;
>
>cell.style.padding = 0 + "px";
>thelink.style.padding = 0 + "px";
>myTable.style.width = 200 + "px";
>
>but they're being steadfastly ignored on Mac/ IE5 & N6.

IE5.0 or 5.1? Just the other day I did roughly the same as you and it turned
out that setting the innerHTML of a TD makes 5.0 on OS 9 behave very weirdly
(the table came somewhere else on the page than I wanted, it was not exactly
the same as your problem). On 5.1 on OS X it worked perfectly.

I saw your earlier question but couldn't answer it because you didn't give a
URL to the page.

ppk