[thelist] Hand Coding (was Dreamweaver Codewriting)

Martin Tsachev shaggy at members.evolt.org
Sun Jun 16 20:58:01 CDT 2002

Hello Kostal,

KDSK> But finally I had to admit, that Dreamweaver in general just writes cleaner
KDSK> code than I do. Also getting visual feedback is very important to create a
KDSK> well designed page in my opinion and Dreamweaver does a pretty good job
KDSK> doing this. And You always have the code it generates right in front of you
KDSK> as well.

Then you haven't yet learnt to hand code. Besides visual feedback *is
misleading* - it's not print it's the web, the same code may look
completely different on different browsers/platforms.

KDSK> I still cannot see the advantages, why I should work differently, though. I
KDSK> mean, you are not really sitting down and writing out the whole thing
KDSK> manually, are you? You have at least some aid that takes this tedious typing
KDSK> away from you.

Actually typing it yourself is *faster* than having to move your hand
to the mouse click a button, then move back your hand to the keyboard
then type something and again...

KDSK> Here's another point: You don't write PostScript by hand when designing
KDSK> printed pages either? Eventually Web Design, at least form the Layout and
KDSK> visual point of view, will be like working in QuarkXPress, weather you like
KDSK> it or not.

Tell me please how can you expect a web page to look the same on a 21"
monitor and an average PDA with a black on white display? PostScript
is a completely different story and yes I won't hand write it if I had
to **PRINT**.

--
Martin Tsachev
Web developer