[thelist] PAGE OPTIMIZATION: source readability v. download w eight

Martin Tsachev shaggy at members.evolt.org
Sun Jun 16 20:58:12 CDT 2002

Hello Michael,

MM> Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

>> Define "cleaner"...to me "cleaner" is a subjective term.

MM> I knew this was going to come up. "Cleaner" is not accurate. I will make a stand that it is "More
MM> Concise" and perhaps "Elegant".

>> blah()
>> {
>>  more blah
>> }

MM> According to Linus, the above way is correct for functions, incorrect for if statements.
MM> Who knew? I still don't like it. Uh, I mean, it wastes space for no benefit.

The PEAR guys think the same, I don't really understand why functions
should be different than if/for statements. They also prefer 4 spaces
than a tab.

On the other side if you look at PHP's coding standards they promote
the use of K&R and tabs - actually some part of the PHP source is
really written in this style and the other in the mentioned above.
Zend also use the PEAR style.

For me PHP again proves to be very inconsistent not that I care about
the source if it's working for me but they are inconsistent with
function names and parameter order too.

--
Martin Tsachev
Web developer