[thelist] test - have you received this?

Sharon F. Malone sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
Mon Jun 17 02:12:00 CDT 2002

Aardvark -
Thanks for the reminders of what to check. I apologize for "taking up bandwidth" but I was in panic mode at the time ... and I appreciate those who did reply so quickly. I was scrambling between Outlook Express setup problems, my new ISP and receiving/not receiving mail from my old host and new host.)<8

And, yes, I owe a tip too.

<tip>
If you don't mind a Windows2000/NT server, CrystalTech is a great host. Start at $9.95/mo (however, no database facilities at that price; that you have to pay $19.95 for), Network Administrators as Tech Support (they have the answers), toll-free support 24/7 (and I can vouch for the joy in that), excellent Control Panel and IMAIL system. Good FAQs, some with video. I'm not a reseller. Placed a client's site with them months ago, was impressed with their service since then, and I finally went with them myself on Friday (after having spent 15 days of misery with another host). Shoulda done it 15 days ago but wanted to be on a unix server.
</tip>

> folks, there's an easier way to test your mail connectivity that
> doesn't involve sending a test message to thelist...
>
> for starters, you can always check thelist archives to see if you
> have all the posts that have come through:
> http://lists.evolt.org/archive/  ...or...
> http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20020610/date.html
>
> the first post from today was this one at 12:48am:
> http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20020610/115443.html
>
> only 18 other posts came in before this test post, probably owing to
> the fact that it's a sunday, and in the U.S., it's fathers' day...
>
> if you're missing posts, sending a message may tell you nothing if it
> doesn't come through (is it your mail service, or thelist?)...
> instead, you can email the list admin address (thelist-
> admin at lists.evolt.org) to check to see if they've received any
> bounces from your address...
>
> failing that, if you want to see if your post is coming through,
> consider sending it to thechat instead of thelist...
>
> and if, despite all this, you find you've sent one to thelist, please
> be sure it has a <tip> within...
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com