[thelist] Site check required please

Andy Warwick mailing.lists at creed.co.uk
Mon Jun 17 09:06:01 CDT 2002

| On 2002/06/17, Burhan Khalid said:

> Hello Andy :
>
>   The site took a while to load on IE (I'm on broadband). I was
> sitting there waiting for a huge background image to show, but it just
> sat there loading and loading and loading and then stop. No flashy
> image. Just the same old page. Same observations with the rest of the
> site. I would normally chalk this up to the geographic distance or
> weight of the page, but your pages aren't very graphic intensive, which
> raised a few flags as to the wait time. It hangs on "Looking up host
> name dev.greenkeeperltd.co.uk".

Ah, that's a machine on my LAN; a URL in the CSS file wasn't changed before
uploading...

My bad.

>   A few general observations :
>
>   On your menu -- I would make the colors a little more darker.
> The light green on    white made me want to squint my eyes a little.
> Maybe that's just me.

On reflection I agree. Done that.

>   On your contact form, the first check box is misaligned (IE6.x
> XP)

Ah, text-indent on the <p> tag not removed...

>   On Moz 1.0 :
>
>   Your [d]'s are on the bottom of the images. They on the top in
> IE.

Might just live with that. As long as they are there, and it doesn't look too
wierd.

Thanks for commenting. Appreciate it.

Andy W

P.S. I have no objection for another list being set up for site checks, but IMHO
I believe they are covered by the list's charter:

"discussion list for designers, developers, and web managers working to make the
web a better place for all! Ask questions, get answers. Give answers, gain
respect."

If you exclude asking for help on making a site a better place for it's
visitors, I'm not sure what there would be left to talk about...

I do a significant amount of testing here, but as a sole trader don't have the
resources for every combination of browser and platform. According to the 'many
eyes make for shallow bugs' theory, I'd rather ask my peers to have a quick
check before the site goes live, rather than actual end-users finding problems.
After all, my peers will be in a far better position to respond with appropriate
help and insight, than the somewhat less helpful client response of "it's broke
and I don't know why'.

As long as I return the favour, and comments on other requests for site
critiques, I have no guilt about posting such requests, tip or no tip.

No disrespect to anyone, but if you don't want to see/read/respond to site
checks then filter them out; It may be that the simple solution is that all
requests for site checks have "Site Check Request" in the subject line to make
that easy. That's something I am happy to do.

My two euros worth...