[thelist] Opening the users default Mp3 player

Paul Backhouse paul.backhouse at 2cs.com
Mon Jun 17 10:29:01 CDT 2002

	What if I, the user, don't want to listen to it straightaway?  what if I
just
	want to save it, and listen to it later, maybe, or save it to me nifty new
	cd/mp3 player, so I can go jogging with it.  The point is, don't assume
that
	just because they want to download it, they want to listen to it straight
off.

Ahh - maybe i didn't make myself clear - the music tunes are not be
downloaded - only to listen to due to copyrights etc...

	Dont assume your users are stupid.  I can tell you there's little that gets
me
	madder than people assuming I don't know or can't figure out something; and
most
	people I know are pretty similar.  Giving users basic instructions is one
thing;
	but don't try to do things for them.

I wasn't saying the user is stupid, i was saying

a) The user knows about Mp3 players and how to use them
b) The user doesn't know about Mp3 players but would like to listen to the
tune because they've click on it.

For both the above assumptions opening a default Mp3 player would be
agreeable? The user can only listen to the tune, even if the user was
confident (as it were) with an Mp3 player they would understand what was
happening.
And if the user didnt know about Mp3 players then opening the song for them
in a player would achieve what the user was requesting.

I agree totally with you on issues concerning websites making you use things
that you would rather not - but you only have so much control over how a
user uses your site - surely helping them gain the best experience on your
site would be an acceptable line to take?

cheers

paul