[thelist] G4's freezing when certain sites are open

Chris George chrisg at gsnet.com
Tue Jun 18 11:35:01 CDT 2002

On 6/18/02 2:43 AM, "Roger Newbrook" <roger.newbrook at kmsoftware.com> wrote:

> has anyone had expereince of G4's freezing when certain websites are opened?
> and if so, what was generally the problem? is it that Java isn't enabled or
> something more serious?
>
> tia
>
> roger

Hi Roger,

I work on Apple computers daily (and nightly, as is the case lately) - I'm
running IE 5.1 (5.2 just came out) and Mozilla 1.0 Final on a PowerMac G4
under OS X and it's rock solid... I can't remember the last time IE
crashed... But it _does_ happen occasionally... It'll just quit.  Which
usually happens after some game playing on shockwave.com or equivalent site.

BUT, if it's IE 5.1 (or less) or Netscape under anything PRE OS X, then I
can relate to it crashing.  OS 8.6, 9.x etc. don't use memory like XP and OS
X do.  You need to allocate chunks of memory in order for them to run, or
run better.  If a browser is crapping out on some sites (usually with a Type
2 error), it's a memory problem.  Increase it's memory size and try again.

But I've only ever encountered a freeze of the OS once because of IE, and
that was 'cause of a java applet.  After that, I turned off allowing the
Java VM to load, and everything was fine.  The Java VM for the Mac is
notoriously bad.  Really bad.

HTH,

Chris.