[thelist] Site check request + blatant weblog promotion

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Tue Jun 18 12:38:01 CDT 2002

At 21:32 17/06/2002 -0400, rudy wrote:
>looks fine to me, the grey scheme is okay, but you forgot the obligatory
>single graphic that would keep it from looking totally textish
>
>i tried the white/darkgrey/black stylesheet switchers in the top right
>corner, only to discover that's not what they are

Hehe, that /was/ my attempt at a single graphic to make it look less
textish (you can see why I don't call myself a designer). I'll think about
ways of making it look more decorative and less like a stylesheet changer :)

>the layout looks "fixed" so let's have a look at this puppy at 640x480
>
>yup, your mainArea div sits *below* your leftMenu div, so maybe you should
>"unhide" the Skip over navigation link  ;o)
>
>okay, i've reset my display back to 800x600
>
>now let's try font size Larger (which i often use at 800x600)
>
>uh oh, same problem -- leftMenu with oceans of blank space beside it

Now that's a weird one. It's an IE bug (doesn't happen in Mozilla or Opera)
and I'm not sure of the best way to deal with the problem. My two column
layout is achieved with floats:

#leftMenu {
         width: 15%;
         float: left;
         padding-left: 5px;
}
#mainArea {
         width: 84%;
         float: right;
         padding-top: 4px;
}

I've changed the #mainArea width to 83% to give IE a bit more leeway - this
seems to have fixed things to a certain extent but the bug still crops up
in 640x480 with font size set to large (at this stage I'm ready to live
with that). Do you know of any other recommended ways of achieving a 2
column layout that will avoid this problem while still resizing to fit
larger font sizes?

Thanks for the feedback,

Simon Willison
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~cs1spw/blog/