[thelist] Halcyon iASP and Access DBs

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Wed Jun 19 09:46:01 CDT 2002

I've got a client that needs new hosting space. They currently use ASP and
some Access DBs on a Windows platform.

My question is: can they still use the Access DBs on a Linux platform
running iHalcyon ASP? Their current platform doesn't have Access installed,
they just have the .mdb files on the server, with ASP calls pointing at
those files. Would this same thing work? Do you *need* to have a Windows
platform to access those .mdb files?

Don't know if this is OT or not, but I'll include a tip anyway...

<tip type="server options" author="bmann">

Looking for a good small business server option that doesn't cost an arm and
a leg? Try the Linux-based Mitel eSmith Server. You can download a bootable
ISO image from their open-source site at http://www.e-smith.org.

The server can act as a gateway/firewall/DHCP, handles e-mail, file-serving,
web, ftp, etc. It serves both Mac and Windows clients, can even act as a
domain controller for Windows networks, and also allows remote access to the
network using PPTP.

</tip>

--
Boris Mann