[thelist] MySQL Tutorials & CMS tutorials?

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Wed Jun 19 11:13:00 CDT 2002

Greg Farries wrote

>Did you look at Zope or OpenCMS?  If you're going to be building something
>from scratch, I doubt you'll be attaching modules onto it.  What kind of
>modules are you talking about?

The modules are so that I can build it in sections. I plan on building
it in a similiar manner to phpnuke where there are modules that can be
turned on and off depending on what the user wants. I realize that this
raises the question of why not simply use phpnuke? Although it is a good
product, it does not meet the needs of the intended audience. It is
simpler to build on from scratch then to do a complete overhaul of the
phpnuke code to fit the intended user.

However, the general idea that phpnuke has created with the use of
modules is an excellent way of designing the product. As for Zope, the
purpose of the CMS is so that people who do not know much about websites
can download the product and install it on any PHP/MySQL server and be
up and running in just a few minutes. (Whether I can achieve this is
another matter).

I have not had a chance to investigate OpenCMS yet. I will defintely be
doing that in the next few days. I will also be investigating
MoveableType as well.

Thanks,

//cdj

PS. Still looking for a good place to purchase a new Toshiba notebook in
Toronto.